Sunday 12 May 2013

Chillies, chillies, chillies!!!!


Chillies, chillies, chillies indeed!!! I have so many chillies growing in my veggie patch that I honestly don't know what to do with them all!! Part of this delema is due to the fact that I dont really eat -or like- chillies!!!
So the majority of what has grown I have been giving away - school mums, family friends, relatives..... I dont want them to go to waste so I prefer them to be eaten by people who will enjoy them!
 
 
 
So with Mothers Day approaching, I thought I would try and do something with some chillies myself. I decided to make some sweet chilli sauce! And it turned out to be a HUGE sucess!! Whoo Hoo!! (and this is something chilli that I can eat)
 
 

 
I also thought it would make a great Mothers day gift too!
I used the recipe from www.taste.com.au . Since making it i've been told that this is the best recipe to use - so I chose a good one to follow for my first attempt!!

 
Heres the recipe if you want to give it a go too.
 
Ingredients:
500g fresh chillies
3 cloves garlic
750ml (3 cups) white vinegar
645g (3 cups) caster sugar
 
Method
 - Cut approximately 100g of the chillies in half and place in food processor.
 - De-seed the remaining chillies and add them to food processor
 - Add garlic
 - Coarsely chop the chillies and garlic
 - Add 250ml of vinegar and process until finely chopped
 - Place chilli mixture, remaining vinegar and caster sugar into saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring until the sugar disolves
 - Increase the heat to high to bring the mixture to the boil
 - Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occassionally, for 35 - 40 minutes.
 - The sauce should thicken.
 - Pour into steralized airtight bottles and seal.
 
Enjoy!!!
 
I gave one bottle of this to mum, and served some on Mothers Day to accompany the home made sausage rolls! Yummo!!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I definitely must give this a try. I love a big dollop of chilli sauce with vegetable spring rolls. Yumm heaven!!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you have to make it!! It was absolutely yummy and so easy too!

      Delete
  2. Is it a spicy recipe? I can only handle a little bit of spice, but I do love sweet chilli sauce with things like rice paper rolls!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine! It's a bit spicy because my chillies were quite hot! (well hot for me because I dont really do spice either!) I just made another batch over the weekend and added a bit more sugar. Still spicy but not too bad. Oh and I pretty much took the seeds out of the majority of the chillies - apparently they are the hottest bit??

      Delete