Friday 6 September 2013

Weekend Project - Bunting

Whats better than balloons, streamers, tinsel and tacky decorations?? Whats handmade with love and care and can be used year after year?? BUNTING of course!!

I think using bunting to celebrate special occasions is a great tradition to start! I'm going to make each of the kids their own special ones for their birthdays, as well as a Christmas one...maybe Valentines, Easter, Halloween.... oh the possibilities are endless!!!!

Making bunting is something that I find really therapeutic. Maybe it's because of the repetition? Not sure really, but it's something that I enjoy, so I thought I would share it as a Weekend Project for you to try too.

So firstly - gather your fabric supplies. Either co-ordinated or random, or make it all from the same piece, it's up to you. You'll also need some Bias Binding Tape or ribbon or something to string it all together, Plus a sewing machine and your usual sewing supplies.

 
Then, I like to make a stencil. This makes it easier to keep all the pieces the same size. Empty cereal boxes come in really handy for stencil making! My stencil is about 18cm across the top, and measures about 23cm from the top to the point.

 
You then need to fold your fabric in half, with the pattern facing in, and pin together. Then either trace around the stencil or pin it on and cut out. Do this until you have your desired amount of 'flags' in each of your chosen fabric.

 
Stitch around each set of flags leaving minimal seam around the edge. I leave the top of the flag unstitched as this will be sewn later. Then cut any extra fabric off, so the stitching is as close to the edge as possible.

 
Turn the flags in the right way ensuring you have a good point at the end. I like to use a knitting needle to poke it all out.
 



Then iron your flags flat and order them how you would like them hung.
 
 
I use Bias Binding Tape along the top of my bunting. I fold it in half and iron it flat. Then I slip the top of each of the flags into the fold and pin down. You could easily run a length of ribbon across the top if you didn't have the Bias Tape.
 

 




Then sew it all together!
 
 
And there you have it! A funky new bunting to hang around the house or to use for a special occasion!



 
Why not try one for yourself this weekend! - or if you would prefer head over to my Etsy Store where I have some for sale!!



1 comment:

  1. I totally love that brown bunting. I've never made bunting but I may just add it to my to do list for my daughters room.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete