Wednesday 11 September 2013

The (not-so-healthy) Chicken Cheese and Bacon Roll

 
 
"Prepare to battle!!!!!........" well almost... that's how it seems most nights in my house at dinner times. I know I've said it before but I have a fussy family. Miss 18m is not too bad.... Mr 5 and 8 and hubby are pretty bad.
 
So... we tend to have the same things all the time. I get bored. I get bored preparing, bored cooking and bored eating the same things all the time. Me - I don't think I'm fussy. There isn't much that I wont eat, or at least try.
 
So the other night I had a success. I made a (not-so-healthy) Chicken, Cheese and Bacon Roll in puff pastry. Everybody ate it and no complaints! WINNER!!!
I got the inspiration from the blog The Organised Housewife. She made a very healthy Spinach and Chicken Roll. I knew my lot wouldn't have a bar of spinach so I used the ingredients I knew they would like.
And just to add a bit of healthiness into it, I added some pureed cauliflower to the chicken mince (cheeky, cheeky I know, but I've got to get those veg into them somehow!!) So I'll share my recipe with you, and for the healthier alternative, check out The Organised Housewife!
 
Preparation Time : prepare at least 1 hr before cooking
                               allow up to 1 hr for cooking
 
Ingredients:
2 pieces of breast chicken, minced (mine included hidden cauliflower)
1 sheet of puff pastry
1/2 tub cream cheese
1 cup grated cheese
4 rashes of bacon
 
Here's what I did:
 
- spread an even layer of chicken mince over the puff pastry
 
 
- Slightly melt the cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds, just to soften it.
- Then spread the cream cheese over the chicken and sprinkle with grated cheese
 
 
- Lay your rashes of bacon on top of the cheese

 
- Carefully roll the entire thing up into a tight log. Use a touch of water to seal the pastry at the base if needed

 
 
- Then rap your "log" tightly in some glad wrap, and leave in the fridge for about 1 hour to allow the cream cheese to re-set. 

 

- Bake on 180 deg for at least 40 mins, or until pastry is golden. ( mine took a little longer, adjust time to ensure chicken is cooked through)
 

Definitely a winner in my house!!!
Do you have a fussy family? Whats their favourite dinner?






No comments:

Post a Comment